Sunday, November 19, 2006

Turkey Race!!!

Yesterday was the last CRCA race of the year...The infamous Turkey Race. It was a normal CRCA - Central Park Race...6:30 AM start time. 6 laps, the only difference was..you are racing for Turkeys. Top 15 finishers got a turkey. There was a great turn-out...I would say 75-80 people started..44 degrees..good times, good times. I was there with two teammates, David Wiswell, and Mike "Margaritaville" Margarite, and all of the usual suspects showed up. I had gone out the night before with my friend Karl who rides Axis, and he had an attack planned in his head, so I was keeping an eye on him and his teammates Molloy and J.Lo waiting for something to happen. I chased down a few attacks...really for no reason other than to ride faster. (Lets keep in mind I have been traveling for 6 weeks, during that time I might have ridden my bike 5 or 6 times) Gabe from ReMax was kickin it at the front, and Mike Sherry and Ken Harris were mixing it up too. Jeff King wins the prize for "off-season attitude"-He showed up after only 3 hours of sleep, with a football jersey on and a 16oz Budwieser King can in his Bottle cage...well played Jeff. About two laps in, som Upper East side bitch let here little cocker spaniel off the leash, and of course the fucker ran right into the peleton. The dog was immediately squashed. Bikes went flying, the owner was screaming like someone took away her credit cards, and all you could smell was burning break pads. I grabbed a handful, and narrowly missed running dead into one of the bodies strown all over the pavement. I looked around just in time to see Karl sliding across the street on his ass. We regrouped, and I checked with the Axis boys to see if they wanted to go back and get him..nope, and off we went. Anyway. J.Lo, and Mike Sherry made a hard effort with 3 laps to go, and got a good gap. I was casually chatting with Molloy, when I saw Ken Harris out of the corner of my eye. He was hard charging up the right hand side, and so I jumped hard to grap his wheel...I got on with Molloy in tow, and we brought the break back fairly quick. (I should NOT train more often...I was feeling pretty good!) So it was to be a sprint. Not my forte. I picked a strong wheel, and spread out to hold it, and just waited. Wiswell was in good position on King's Wheel with Molloy behind him, and mid sprint, some guy botched the line, and Wiswell and King had to sit up to miss him. Meanwile, The Visit Britain boys were out...Ricky Lowe got first, Anthony second, and Kevin Molloy just got the Evil Matt Howard at the line for third. As for me...I think I just made it in turkey range of top 15 or so. We didn't wait around..Me and the Axis boys went for breakfast, the yardbirds that we didn't retrieve would be donated to the local homeless shelter. So there...we did our deed. West Side Jackson Hole, #10, eggs over easy, and yes...we need more coffee. Full results and more pices here: http://www.nyvelocity.com/content.php?id=1139

No comments: