Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Beer+Bikes = Spillage

"Spillage in the Village" to be exact. So on December 12 NY Velocity (www.nyvelocity.com) and St. Pauli Girl, with the help of some other sponsors organized the first roller race of the off-season. Last year all of the roller races were held in the Brooklyn Brewery, but this year...no go...we were in a tiny bar in the East Village called 169 Bar. For 20 bones, spectators could watch skinny bike racers fall off rollers, and have all you can drink St. Pauli Girl...and for those racing that night...all you can drink for $10...plus the chance for public humiliation and possibly broken bones...all whilel have beer thrown on you by the carnage hungry crowds. It came off without a hitch. Dan, Andy, and Alex pulled it together nicely, and it was better organzed than some road races I have been to. Also, a big thanks to out USA Cycling Rep. Alan for officiating the whole biligerent deal. Peer pressure is a powerful force. Much more powerful than crack I have determined. I have never smoked the crack rock, but I can anly assume based on what I learned from "New Jack City", and in bike racing..its all about ego... So...I decided to race. I was scared shitless, but it turned out OK. My teammate David Wiswell raced with me along with my friend/arch enemy Kevin Molloy. My boy Bruce was in town from Cali, and came along as designated spotter and beer drinker. It was fun. I raced, I fell once, actually won one round, and drank heavily. My man Kevin got third in a crazy close race with Hungry Aaron Wolfe (2nd), and the bohemoth, Andrew Cupcake LaCorte. On the Women's side. Arone  Dyer...took it to Tara.,..with style, grace, and toe clips.  Doesn't get much better than that.. Wiswell made it to 6th place, and I managed a 9th. Yeah so there were only 15 people...but...top ten is top ten. So there.

Full report, mores pics, and even videos, can be found at www.nyvelocity.com The REALLY fun part, was the ride home. Me, Molloy, and Bruce had gotten ourselves summarily drunk, and were off to get some pizza. Bruce and I were getting ready for Cyclocross Nats, so Bruce decided to do a few dismounts in the middle of Bleeker St. They ended badly...He almost lost his jewels to his rear tire. Scary. But oh so funny. Pizza at Two Boots, a piss in Washington Square Park, and we made it home safe. Bruce tried one more re-mount in my hallway, an nearly ended up a permanent fixture of the wall...but all in all...we made it safe, and had a hell of a good time.

No comments: