Saturday, September 09, 2006

Approaching Boulder

Tomorrow is my last road race of the season. Bear Mountain...(www.crca.net) is a fitting end. Or demise, I should say. I have been done with this season in my head for a couple of weeks now... I have started bulding cross bikes, watching cross videos, and for god's sake...running. The true sign of me flipping the mental "switch" is BEER. I have been drinking it...ALOT. I mean, how can you not this time of the year. All if the great small batch brewerys out there start coming out with limited release, fall, Octoberfest type stuff...and its all that. But really what I'm looking forward to...Yep...Boulder. I spent Thanksgiving last year in Nederland just up slope from Boulder, CO with some great friends of mine, Josh and Megan, and wealth of people from their hood. The weather couldn't have been better. There was snow on the ground, but the trails were clear, so we did an average of 3 hours of single wide dirt bike trails on Single speeds...and when we finished, we drank beer, and ate Megan's homemade pumpkin pie. (Not from the can either...straight up pumpkins)

So, I booked my ticket already...5 sweet ass days in Ned at the Harrod compound...and this year, I've got a new SingleSpeed...vintage Michael/Jessica Spot Brand 29'er (those who know...know) (www.spotbikes.com) Last year I brought a nice Single Malt...Lagavulin 16...oddly enough, its cheaper hear in NYC...this year, I'm gonna step it up...Josh, Timmy, Mr. Fitness, Megan...get ready...think small batch, limited release, and really old. I have been trying to move to Boulder for the better part of 10 years, and I can never quite get it together. I have always been the cautious guy that tried to find a job before I move halfway across the country...call me crazy, but I could never quite get it together. Now, as I get older, and my career gets more involved, it seems even more difficult. One of these days...maybe not too long from now...I will say to hell with it all. Pack my car, my bikes, and head West. Leave all this bullshit furniture, the suits, the ties, the shiny shoes, and take it to the mountains. Work in a bike shop again, and just make enough money to feed myself, and to have some fun along the way. Do we really need anything more than that? Who knows, this year, maybe I won't come back...

Fight the power,

RK

No comments: