Thursday, September 14, 2006

Indy Fab Double Feature

OH YEAH! My new cross bikes arrives yesterday...SWEET. A match pair of Independent Fabrication Planet X's. (www.ifbikes.com) Yep, you heard me right, a pair, as in 2 bikes...as in Race bike, and pit bike. It could also be read as obsessive compulsive, or over indulgent, but this is my story, and I'm reading it like this: P....R....O. Pro. The downside of rolling up to a cross race with a match pair of bike is that people will assume that you are fast. I....am not that fast. If speed were the measure of the level of bike I deserve, I would get like half a bike. But I have fun, and my boys at IF (Matty B is the man) got 'em together for me, so it's hard to only get well...one. It's like the last 2 puppies in a litter. You wouldn't want to take away the other ones sister would you? So, for those who don't know, Independent Fabrication is an Employee owned artisan bicycle manufacturer. HAND MADE...start to finish, in Somerville, MA...the heart of the US cross scene. They just celebrated their 10th anneversary last year. They rose like a phoenix out of the fire of Fat City Cycles. Fat closed their doors and left everyone out of work, so four guys, Mike Flannigan, Jeff Buckles, Steve Elmes, and Lloyd Graves, with the help of a proper businessman (John Barmack) Launched Indy Fab with the first frame at the ledgendary Redbones BBQ (www.redbones.com) in Slummerville (I can only degrade Somerville because I used to live there...keep it straight) Then in triple ought, (the year 2000) When Merlin was purchased by Litespeed, they grabbed some unemployed Master Ti welders, and that is what made IF what it is today...check out the site. Buy a t-shirt, or a beer glass, or a Ti/Carbon Road Bike. These are good people that work for a living, and just happen to produce some of the most beautiful bikes on the planet...without the use of robots. Anyway...the Planet X has been ridden by a number of guys to a number of Championships (Tim Johnson, Johs Huseby please stand up) I am super stoked to have them. I have had tons of cross bikes, Aluminum , Steel, Ti...and the Planet X is my favorite...these 2 = my 4th and 5th Planet X's... Coming to a cross course near you I'm done typing now RK

No comments: