Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Shellac just pisses me off...

But in a good way. I should probably start by clarifying things a bit. Shellac is a band. What? You thought that I was going to go into some rant about how volatile refinishing furniture makes me? If I had any experience with that, it could be the case, but sorry, no Bob Villa here. So back to Shellac.... Shellac is a band. I band I happen to like and respect a lot. I have been trying to see them live for the better part of 10 years, and in combination with their spotty tour dates, and the whole wrong place wrong time thing, I haven't been able to. Until this last Saturday night. I thought I was going to be out of town (again!) so I hadn't bought tickets. So when my travel plans fell threw, it left me scambling. I made phone calls, e-mails, searched the beloved e-bay, and finally I posted on craig's list. HA! I found a ticket! Friday before the show, I had arranged to meet this guy who had an extra ticket, and pay him an exorbenent amount of money for it. Last I heard, he was going to be at my place in 15 minutes. 5 hours later, I still had no ticket. In the mean time, I had gotten a call from someone else who saw my post. I thought I was taken care of, so turned him away. Lucky for me the trusty cell phone saved his number. I called him back, and he had one ticket left. I felt like Charlie and the friggin' chocolate Factory... I met him Saturday, in the rain, and paid him even more money. But...I got my ticket. I was finally going to see Shellac. The show was in Brooklyn, at the Europa Club in Greenpoint. I took the opportunity to have dinner and this great place in Williamsburg called Diner, where my friend Angela works (www.crankyankers.org) I fueled up with several Chimays (the Devil's work), a kick ass steak, and chatted with Johnson before I headed out. At the club, Uzeda opened...Whatever. Then the show started....HOLY F!@#! This is what I have been waiting for. Brilliant show. I would do it all over again tomorrow. Every song sounded just a little better live than on recordings, mix that with the Shellac's interaction with the crowd, and it ranks as one of the best shows I have ever seen. So now a little background: Shellac is a three-piece made up of Steve Albini, Todd Trainer, and Bob Weston. Albini was formerly in Big Black, and his day job is producing hit records for people like Nirvana, PJ Harvey, Liz Phair, and oh yeah..the Pixies. Bob Weston (formerly from Volcano Sun) does some kick ass productions as well, Like Archer's of Loaf and June of 44 ...and Todd, well he's just a skinny guy that can play the shit out of some drums. Shellac has been described as the Harley Davidson of the underground music scene. An American version of British punk rock, bred from baseball and heavy metal. Its raw, its angry, and it sounds really good. They are on Touch and Go/Quarterstick Records (http://www.tgrec.com) Check 'em out...or don't...I don't care. Needless to say, I have been listening to them non-stop since, and I have started to build in my brain, a soundtrack to my Cyclocross season. To be released via my I-pod, while on a trainer in some cold parking lot, just before I cough blood for 45 minutes in a 'cross race. So there, RK

No comments: